Saturday, September 02, 2006

Shopping... Kind of Like a National Sport Here

It must just be me and what I'm used to. I'm the kind of guy who gets lost in the mall no matter how many times I've been there. Shopping is for me, much like a carnival, a sensory overload that often leaves me confused and disorientated, so maybe I'm not the best person to approach this topic. Be that as it may, the Dutch seem to have it down to a science. Always on the look out for a bargain, they seem to have an inherent sense for finding sales and getting the most for their euro. But I'll stick to my sports metaphor because shopping here does require a certain amount of athleticism. In the states, people get in their cars and then drive to each "big box, mega outlet store" park, go in, do some shopping, and drive to the next place. Here, the first difference is that one has to walk to each store. Once in the general vacinity, one needs to be quick on ones toes, because you are soon dodging hoards of people moving in all directions, bikes, and at certain strategic points, trams. Agility, and the ability to judge the opposition's next move are key components of seamlessly making your way through the onslaught of traffic. In the shops, you'd think that this was the holiday seasons judging by the lines for the cashiers and crowds of people at each display. While I am fond of hyperbole, I'm not exaggerating. Pausing for a moment to get your bearings or take a breather has to be a calculated move because in making an abrupt stop, one runs the risk of being trampled. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. But it can be pretty hectic. Really the best part about the whole experience is the people watching. A point, that I'm sure is not lost on the Dutch. Still, should you ever find yourself shopping in this great nation, take a deep breath and then plunge in, because life, and shopping, is not a spectator sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home