Monday, April 24, 2006

Happiness is Where You Find It

There is a saying that, "truth is stranger than fiction." Well, I have to agree. To illustrate I shall relate a story from my hometown involving "real people" that I am related to. Recently my sister contacted me via email to update me on the misadventures of my family in the back woods of Minnesota. Truely, nothing spells disfunction like f-a-m-i-l-y.
One of my younger cousins, (we'll call her Amanda) currently in her mid-twenties, has become the family's "dark horse" as a result of her relationship with a 38 year old meth-head who has two kids,neither of whom he is allowed to see as a result of a restraining order, (we'll call him Earl). Well, recently Amanda got into a bar fight with another girl over this guy and got her eye socked out for her efforts. Of course, word travels fast in a small town where the primary pastimes are drinking and well... whatever else the better part of society does in a small town (going to church, I'm wagering). My cousin's mother decides to round up the posse to, "teach this other girl a lesson." Her gang of toughs are the notorious B- sisters, which include my mother. Apparently they cornered this girl in some bathroom somewhere (probably the local bar) and gave her a stern talking to... my mother incidentally just held the door.
Now, while I spent my first formative years in the very town where the aforementioned events transpired, and was raised by the same group of firebrand sisters, I claim no expertise in the realm of small town livin'. Still, it's hard for me to imagine any situation where a thirty-eight year old, divorced meth addict with two estranged kids is not only a catch, but is worth getting your lights punched out for. Then again, reading a good book makes me happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home