Sunday, February 25, 2007

O, to Be a Blogger

One of the things I've noticed since I started blogging is that the whole thing is primarily about attention. I'm habitually checking my blog to see if anyone has visited, or even better: commented. You see, I'm a comment whore, I live for the comments. It's the main reason I even bother to think up this drivel. My girlfriend recently started receiving comments on her blog and in a surprised tone recently admitted to feeling the same way. It's as if one goes into blogging with the completely innocent motive of expressing oneself and soon you are waking up at 3 in the morning to see if anyone has left a new comment. But then again, perhaps I'm just speaking for me.

This develops into a vicious circle where you feel compelled to write interesting and/or entertaining posts to keep people coming back and leaving more posts. The strange thing is that it doesn't really matter after a while whether people are writing nice things or just correcting your grammar. All that matters is that someone, anyone, is paying attention.

I do my best to post as often as I can but there are many times when I sit down in front of my computer and there's just nothing, not even the usual inane stuff that I put up here. I doesn't help either that I imagine (because it's certainly my imagination to think that anyone actually cares what I write on MY blog) people shouting, "make me laugh, clown!" when I'm sweating it out to come up with something to write. Perhaps someday soon, a clever grad student will write his or her thesis about the unique psychology of bloggers. On that day we'll all learn that the whole thing is tied to not getting enough attention as children, or searching for intimacy in the relatively safe environment of cyberspace because society is becoming increasingly more alienating. Hell, for all I know someone probably already has.

The point of all this is, (damn what if there is no point....THE HORROR) that I don't feel especially put out by these feelings, I just would like to have entertaining and humorous posts bloom in my mind like so many spring crocuses. It's........ a dream I have. (editor's note: last sentence to be read with a wistful intonation).

Plus, it would certainly be a boon to my skills to be able to write without all of the parenthetical additions, mostly because I haven't mastered all forms of literary device at this point. Now where am I going with this?

Something, something... sweaty, pot-bellied clowns rubbing ruttabegas on their bums, something, something... dirty, stinking apes chucking poo, something, something else.... midgets in spandex holding hands and singing "We are the World" and........... I'm spent.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, MAKE ME LAUGH, Clown . . .

-SIEL

12:15 AM  
Blogger Hulles said...

Well you pretty much nailed it here. By the way, I didn't really read your post, I'm just guessing what it must have said. (Kidding of course.) If I had a nickel for every time I've felt the way you've described I'd be a happy guy because I could buy a carton of cigarettes at least and I'm out. But hang in there. Practice, pay your dues, and keep on writing. I feel qualified to be able to give you advice not because of my own blogging experiences but just because I'm older than you are and like giving all you young pups advice on shit I know little to nothing about.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Autumn Whitefield-Madrano said...

For a while I had a tracker on my Livejournal, and it was--just weird. I saw who was peeking when, what entries they'd visit repeatedly, who started to write a comment and then cancelled it, and who wasn't reading (because these things are more about absence than presence, really--like you said, even a nonsense comment, as long as it isn't spam, brings a smile to my face when there's a lonely post with no comments).

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would just like to say(since you have poked fun at myspace in some previous entry) is that what you write is exactly what all these types of sites are about. you may think this is more intellectual or less juvenile but in my mind it is very much the same. there are differences but they are nominal in my mind. we all just want attention. i personally myspace and read and write comments on your blog. i even go to the extent to write a comment on your blog and then see if you comment on my comment.

4:27 AM  
Blogger JC said...

SIEL- Things should get funnier once my diarrhea of the brain clears up, so stay tuned.

Hulles- Thanks for the advice, even though it's painfully obvious that I don't need it and wouldn't follow it if I did. That's part of being an IEP.

autumn- thanks for stopping by again. There's nothing worse for a blogger's self-esteem than a comment-less post, besides several consecutive comment-less posts, that is. What I left out of this one was guilt-tripping friends that visit the site and don't leave comments and the incessant nagging of friends and family who don't visit at all.

gold teeth- I should have clarified that I was not criticizing the real social networking that happens on myspace. The truth is you are correct. I'm just bitter because my own MySpace account only has 4 friends. "sniff"

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

111000010000010001111100000101000100010000111001010101000111100001110001100010101010000000001111111111111000000000000100001010100101010

-SIEL

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll be your friend if you want

11:48 PM  
Blogger JC said...

SIEL- I looks like your android brain is in need of a zero-ing out. Go now to the nearest personality zoning station and get... processed.

gold teeth- Let it be so.

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we've all been processed, don't you get it by now, i would think you would, kimber does . . . (?)

btw: binary is honest - it is or it isn't think about, friend!

-Mr. SIEL (to you)

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home