Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Weekend

Most people, or most WORKING people, use their weekends to relax and enjoy their time away from the "office." It's a time for family and friends, a time for slowing one's pace for a few days. I for one am a big fan of the two days off at the end of the week. If you've ever worked a full time job where you work five or more days per week and the days you have off are not back to back you know what I mean. I've had a couple of jobs like that in my lifetime and I honestly have to say that it sucks. One day off sandwiched between workdays, especially in the middle of the week barely even qualifies as "time off" and it certainly pales in comparison to that glorious respite, the weekend. In the last mad year of my undergraduate days I worked a full time job and was taking up to 15 semester credits at the same time. The result was that I never had more than one full day per week where I wasn't required to be at either work or school, some weeks allowed me no such days, while the majority of days I had both to attend to. That's not even considering the two piecemeal jobs I had with the school, nor time for homework. Needless to say, it was a year that at times drove me nuts. At other times in my life I had either the full-time/school or part-time/school routine which also meant that days off, when I did have them, were in the middle of the week. Most of these days off were on week days which meant that I had the day off when all of my friends had to work. Not a lot of fun.
Since then I have done everything in my power to have my time off on the weekend, even though at least one of those days is usually spent attending to errands which I otherwise could not accomplish during the week. Still that leaves at least one whole unadulterated day which I could devote to whatever struck my fancy. A luxury perhaps, but a luxury which was vital to my mental sanity. My point is, that even though I currently do not work, the weekend is still something of a special time. A time to relax, or to attend to all of those loose ends that pile up during the week, or to spend with people I chose to be with. Hail, hail to the weekend!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would enjoy the weekend but i don't even always know what day it is. and as long as my days off are in a row i don't care when it is because weekend aren't all that more exciting to me. most of my friends don't have jobs so it doesn't matter. the thing i missed most in the last two and a half years of working was having free time in the daylight. my free time was always in the dark. in the past i always enjoyed the park and in the last couple years i have only been a handful of times. now i will enjoy what i can while i can.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home